My child’s other parent is moving out of state. What are my options?

Custody agreements are made based on what is in the best interests of the child. If custodial parents decide to move out of state after a child custody agreement is finalized, this can cause a lot of confusion. Knowing what is in the best interest of the child can be difficult in this situation.

Child custody laws differ in each state about what is in the best interest of the child. It is important to know what the laws are in your state before your child’s other parent crosses state lines.

Can my ex-spouse move without telling me?

In Pennsylvania, custodial parents cannot relocate without letting the other parent know. For a custodial parent to relocate, they must notify you of the move at least 60 days prior. If the custodial parent did not know about the potential move that far in advance, they must provide notice ten days before they relocate. In addition to this notice, the custodial parent must provide the following information:

  • The new residential address
  • Name and age of anyone living in the new house
  • Information about the child’s new school
  • Date and reason for the potential move
  • A new proposal for a child custody agreement

If the custodial parent does not give you proper notification there are some options available to you.

Can I object to the move?

Yes, you can object to the custodial parent’s relocation. However, you must file a formal objection within 30 days of receiving the notice from your ex-spouse. After filing a formal objection, a formal hearing will be held to discuss if the proposed relocation is in the best interest of the child. The court will look at the motivations of the custodial parent, the advantages and disadvantages for the child and the basis of your objection.

Dealing with this process on your own can be a difficult task. If your child’s other parent is planning to move out of state, you may want to seek the help of a seasoned family law attorney. They will provide additional guidance based on your circumstances.


The information you obtain at this site is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice. You should consult an attorney for advice regarding your individual situation. We invite you to contact us and welcome your calls, letters and electronic mail. Contacting us does not create an attorney-client relationship. Please do not send any confidential information to us until such time as an attorney-client relationship has been established.

Privacy Policy

This privacy policy discloses the privacy practices for www.bononiandbononi.com. This privacy policy applies solely to information collected by this web site. It will notify you of the following:

  1. What personally identifiable information is collected from you through the web site, how it is used and with whom it may be shared.
  2. What choices are available to you regarding the use of your data.
  3. The security procedures in place to protect the misuse of your information.
  4. How you can correct any inaccuracies in the information.

Information Collection, Use, and Sharing 
We are the sole owners of the information collected on this site. We only have access to/collect information that you voluntarily give us via email or other direct contact from you. We will not sell or rent this information to anyone.

We will use your information to respond to you, regarding the reason you contacted us. We will not share your information with any third party outside of our organization, other than as necessary.

Unless you ask us not to, we may contact you via email in the future to tell you about specials, new products or services, or changes to this privacy policy.

Your Access to and Control Over Information 
You may opt out of any future contacts from us at any time. You can do the following at any time by contacting us via the email address or phone number given on our website:

  • See what data we have about you, if any.
  • Change/correct any data we have about you.
  • Have us delete any data we have about you.
  • Express any concern you have about our use of your data.

We take precautions to protect your information. When you submit sensitive information via the website, your information is protected both online and offline.

We also protect your information offline. Only employees who need the information to perform a specific job (for example, billing or customer service) are granted access to personally identifiable information. The computers/servers in which we store personally identifiable information are kept in a secure environment.


Our Privacy Policy may change from time to time and all updates will be posted on this page.

If you feel that we are not abiding by this privacy policy, you should contact us immediately via telephone at 412-832-2499