Parents not required to pay for post-secondary education

In a custody arrangement that involves child support payments, is it fair to require that a parent pays for a college education? An Oct. 6 report looked into this question as it could come up in court.

It’s not possible for the court to require separated or divorced parents to pay for their children’s undergraduate degrees. In 1995, the the Pennsylvania Supreme Court ruled that this was unconstitutional. Since that ruling, no court in the state has been able to make a parent pay for his or her child’s college education.

Despite this, the Pennsylvania legislature hasn’t had the statute repealed. A parent’s obligation to provide for a child ends when the child turns 18 or graduates from high school, whichever is later, and there is no further requirement. At that point, a parent has fulfilled the obligation to provide a minimum education to prepare the child for life. If a spouse attempts to seek payments for college, that should not be allowed by the court.

Why should a parent not have to pay for a college education?

The fact is that child support is supposed to help children as they are on their way to becoming adults. In situations where children have both parents, that in itself doesn’t always guarantee that the child will go to college and have college paid for by their parents. There is no entitlement to a post-secondary education simply because two parents get a divorce. When the law was made unconstitutional, it also remove the court’s ability to order parents of any kind to pay for a child’s college education.

If you’ve been asked to pay for college, know that you do not have the obligation to do so. You can choose to, but if a court rules that you have to, you can have the ruling overturned.

Source: The Legal Inelligencer, “Requiring Parents to Pay for College Education is Unconstitutional,” Charles J. Meyer and Scott J.G. Finger, Oct. 06, 2016


The information you obtain at this site is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice. You should consult an attorney for advice regarding your individual situation. We invite you to contact us and welcome your calls, letters and electronic mail. Contacting us does not create an attorney-client relationship. Please do not send any confidential information to us until such time as an attorney-client relationship has been established.

Privacy Policy

This privacy policy discloses the privacy practices for www.bononiandbononi.com. This privacy policy applies solely to information collected by this web site. It will notify you of the following:

  1. What personally identifiable information is collected from you through the web site, how it is used and with whom it may be shared.
  2. What choices are available to you regarding the use of your data.
  3. The security procedures in place to protect the misuse of your information.
  4. How you can correct any inaccuracies in the information.

Information Collection, Use, and Sharing 
We are the sole owners of the information collected on this site. We only have access to/collect information that you voluntarily give us via email or other direct contact from you. We will not sell or rent this information to anyone.

We will use your information to respond to you, regarding the reason you contacted us. We will not share your information with any third party outside of our organization, other than as necessary.

Unless you ask us not to, we may contact you via email in the future to tell you about specials, new products or services, or changes to this privacy policy.

Your Access to and Control Over Information 
You may opt out of any future contacts from us at any time. You can do the following at any time by contacting us via the email address or phone number given on our website:

  • See what data we have about you, if any.
  • Change/correct any data we have about you.
  • Have us delete any data we have about you.
  • Express any concern you have about our use of your data.

We take precautions to protect your information. When you submit sensitive information via the website, your information is protected both online and offline.

We also protect your information offline. Only employees who need the information to perform a specific job (for example, billing or customer service) are granted access to personally identifiable information. The computers/servers in which we store personally identifiable information are kept in a secure environment.


Our Privacy Policy may change from time to time and all updates will be posted on this page.

If you feel that we are not abiding by this privacy policy, you should contact us immediately via telephone at 412-832-2499